Workers at the Best Western Plus in Leamington, Ontario ratified a new union contract.
The agreement runs from March 11, 2019 to March 1, 2022 and covers 50 workers.
“Local 1006A is proud to achieve a strong first contract for workers at the Best Western Plus in Leamington and we look forward to working with our members to build upon these gains in the future,” said President Wayne Hanley.
The negotiating committee was led by Director Don Taylor and Union Rep Rick Del Fiacco with support from members, Tracey Schmidt, Mercedes DeMedeirou, Wendy Jill Marentette and George Clark.
“The guys did an awesome job,” said Wendy Marentette. “We would never have gotten what we got on our own. I am quite happy with the contract. Anytime we have questions, they help us right away."
Highlights of the agreement include:
- Wage increases over term of agreement
- Job guarantee/security for life of the agreement
- Recognition of four union stewards
- Establishment of grievance procedure
- Protection from unjust discharge or discipline
- Establishment of seniority rights
- Job posting language
- Bereavement leave
- Vacation language
- Immediate increase for employees working as lead hand, head housekeeper, and head server