Wage increases and the introduction of a retirement package are among the many gains achieved by workers at Springhill Suites by Marriott Toronto/Vaughan.
The term of the recently ratified contract is April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2023.
Negotiations were led by Union Representative Joe Blythe with the support of union members, Sivanithy Muthulingam and Taharchan Bisram.
“Hotel workers know they can count on UFCW Canada Local 1006A to improve and protect their rights and livelihoods,” said President Wayne Hanley. “This new contract is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our negotiating committee."
- Gender Neutral Language
- Employees will receive one paid floating day in 2020 and a second in 2022.
- Wage increases of 12 per cent over term of contract (5% in year 1, 3% in year 2, 2% each in Year 3 & 4)
- Part time will receive the same stat holidays and vacation allowance as full timers.
- Increase to health and welfare contributions
- Ensuring health and safety with all training provided through Workers’ Health and Safety Centre’s Program
- Introduction of a retirement package for all employees.
- Additional 25 cents per hour for housekeeping staff effective year one. In less than three years, housekeeping laundry and houseperson will go from $15.76 to $18.