Every year, UFCW Canada Local 1006A recognizes the incredible commitment, dedication and activism within our membership through our Outstanding Member Achievement awards.
These annual awards are given in the following categories (one award worth $500 per category):
- Leadership and Advancement of the UFCW: This award is presented to a UFCW Canada Local 1006A member who demonstrates commitment, passion and dedication to the labour movement and to advancing the ideals and traditions of the local union to its membership.
- Fundraising for Leukemia Research: This award is presented to a UFCW Canada Local 1006A member who demonstrates commitment and dedication to helping to find a cure for Leukemia and Lymphoma.
- Contributions to the Community: This award is presented to a UFCW Canada Local 1006A member who demonstrates commitment and dedication to enhancing the social fabric of their community and improving the livelihood of its members.
- Promoting Health & Safety in the Workplace: This award is presented to a UFCW Canada Local 1006A member who continually strives to improve the health and safety of Local 1000A members in the workplace.
- Human Rights: This award is presented to a UFCW Canada Local 1006A member who works to eliminate barriers and promotes equality, specifically in one or more of the areas covered in the Ontario Human Rights code: age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation.
Our great union is home to many incredible members and activists dedicated to improving their workplace and/or their communities. This award is about honouring their outstanding efforts and encouraging increased activism among our membership base.
Recipients are announced at the local union's annual Stewards’ Conference each year.
If you know a member who has shown outstanding commitment, dedication and activism in any of the above categories, you can do so by completing the application form.
The application deadline is August 1, 2017.