Local 1006A members at Oxford Valu-Mart have ratified a new union contract.
Negotiations were led by Union Representative Bill Vantol with support from members Dan Allen and Robin Davies.
“We found the members were more engaged during these negotiations — there was more interest in what was going on at the bargaining table,” said Davies. “It’s a liveable contract and we were able to make some gains.”
Davies said it is important for members to understand there are competing priorities and agendas which determines what is achieved during negotiations.
“Having a union contract with language that protects workers—you may only need to use it once or twice but it can make a big difference.”
“Congratulations to our negotiating committee and members at Oxford Valu-Mart on their new union contract,” said President Wayne Hanley. “We look forward to working with them to protect and improve their rights now and into the future.”
- Wage increases
- 3 year deal from date of ratification.
- Minimum wage plus language in the part-time wage grid.
- Reduction of number of hours in the student wage grid.
- $1 per hour premium for all hours worked past 6 pm for a part-time employee assigned to lock the store.
- Increased educational leave from one employee to two on the front end.
- Ability for full time to make up two days per year if they were off sick.