Since achieving union representation eight years ago, UFCW 1006A members at Manitoulin Hotel & Conference Centre have once again achieved improvements to their union contract. From wage increases to improved vacation language, members won several gains in their last set of negotiations.
“It is an amazing contract and most people are happy with it,” said Cathleen Carson, a member who works at the hotel.
"UFCW 1006A’s impact can be seen across Ontario, from east to west and, from north to south,” said President Wayne Hanley. "We are Ontario’s union and we continue to change lives for the better. Our recent contract at Manitoulin Hotel & Conference Centre shows the strength and power of 1006A representation. Congratulations to our union negotiating committee on a job well-done.”
The term of the agreement is from from January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2025 and covers 60 workers. It was achieved with strong support and participation from the membership.
- Wage increases of 5 per cent in first year, 4 per cent in second year, and 3 per cent in third year
- Improved vacation language: 5 weeks of vacation after 16 years
- Improved language covering paid days off (Full-time: 3 sick days with 2 personal days; Part-time: 2 sick days and 1 personal day)
- Improved bereavement leave language with an additional fifth bereavement day for a spouse, child, parent or sibling.
- Improved language to ensure that any member, who is asked to conduct training of a co-worker, is paid a premium or the hourly rate of the team lead (whichever is higher).