Health authorities across Canada and the world point to physical distancing as one of the key measures necessary to reduce the transmission of COVID-19.
Physical distancing means maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet (or 2 metres) between you and others around you who are not part of your immediate household.
Considering COVID-19 is highly contagious and affects all age groups, we must not let our guard down. Physical distancing, frequent handwashing, and increased use of masks are essential in controlling and reducing the spread. For maximum protection, ensure you follow these procedures.
Physical distancing is vital in protecting yourself and your family.
Tips for Physical Distancing
- Maintain physical distancing while at work where possible. If someone gets too close to you, move back if possible.
- Stand at least six feet apart during conversations. Avoid speaking face-to-face to prevent respiratory transmission.
- Avoid crowded places and gatherings
- Avoid handshakes and close physical contact with those outside your immediate household until the COVID-19 pandemic passes.
- Protect people at high risk by limiting physical contact with them (e.g. older adults and those in poor health). Stay in touch using the phone/video calls.
- Your employers or supervisors should be scheduling breaks and lunches in a way that is staggered.
- Eat at separate tables, or as far apart as possible.
- Wear masks while physical distancing indoors. There is a growing body of evidence that the virus remains in the air for longer than previously known due to ventilation and air streams.
- Utilize public transit in off-peak hours if possible.
- Host virtual playdates over the phone or computer for kids.
- When going for a walk or just being outdoors, remember to maintain at least 6 feet distance from others.
- When physical distancing is not possible, wear a mask to protect yourself and those around you – See Our Tips Here.
- Avoid crowding into elevators or communal bathrooms.
- Stay home as often as possible, once you return from work.
- Shop once a week for grocery, pharmacy and other necessities.
- If you test positive and/or are symptomatic, stay home.