Members at Courtyard by Marriott Brampton have voted to ratify a new union contract with several gains.
The new agreement runs from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2019.
Negotiations were led by Joe Blythe with support from Executive Assistant to the President Frank Ragni, and members, Juahir Ahmed, Surendra Gandhi, and Jessica Jordan
“As Ontario’s best union, we are proud to provide our members who work in the hotel and hospitality sector with outstanding union representation at the bargaining table,” said President Wayne Hanley. “This agreement is a testament to the excellent work of our bargaining committee members and our strong membership. We are proud to represent members in this industry and help raise the standards for all hotel workers across Ontario.”
Highlights of Agreement
- Wage increases (1.5% in Year 1, 2% in Year 2, 2% increase in Year 3 of the agreement)
- Improvements to gratuity language for unionized staff (Increased share of gratuity to banquet staff; unionized bistro staff will also receive share for first time)
- Employer contributions to Health and Welfare benefits to increase over the term of the agreement
- Improvements to Scheduling (increased notice for shift cancellation and guaranteed four hours of pay for shift cancellation; Workers who don’t receive 15-minute break will be now paid for that time versus previously when they weren’t)
- Any time spent in company-required training will now be paid by the employer