After three days of voting, from October 16 to October 19, members working at No Frills voted in favour of the Memorandum of Settlement (MOS) reached on September 17, 2022.
The settlement was reached after 16 days of bargaining over seven months of intense negotiations with No Frills, and was unanimously recommended by the union negotiating committee.
The MOS reflects all gains and no concessions for members at No Frills. Some highlights of the settlement include:
- $2.30 wage increase over 4 ½ years for all members at the end rate
- $1,000 lump sum for full-time at end rate (Date of Ratification)
- $500 (Date of Ratification) and $250 (May 2023) lump sums for part-time at end rate
- $100 lump sum for part-time in progression (Date of Ratification)
- Shorter wage progressions for part-time, ensuring members get to end-rate faster and earn more
- Improved supplemental benefits for full-time
- Increase to safety footwear reimbursement to $80
- Improved bereavement language – members can now defer one of their allocated bereavement days on a later date for cremation, burial or memorial
Thousands of members throughout Ontario participated in the vote which was conducted online and by phone. Two telephone town hall meetings were also held on Sunday, October 16 for members to review the MOS and ask questions. The renewal agreement will expire in May 2027.
On behalf of your negotiations committee, I would like to thank members for their unwavering support throughout the process. Your participation helped make this fair settlement possible.
As always, your union representative is available to answer any questions you may have.
Wayne Hanley (he/him)
President, UFCW Canada Local 1006A
We want to connect with all members: If you know members that did not receive this email, please encourage them to update their contact details here.
Read my previous updates here:
September 17, 2022: Tentative Memorandum of Settlement Reached
August 24, 2022: Conciliation Dates Set
July 28, 2022: Union Files for Conciliation
July 14, 2022: Members Deliver Strong Strike Mandate
June 17, 2022: No Frills Negotiations Break Off; Strike Vote Scheduled
April 29, 2022: Negotiations Progress, Future Dates Set
April 1, 2022: Negotiations with No Frills Begin
February 25, 2022: Union Committee Meets, Preparations Continue